Sunday, May 9, 2010

Overlapping Destinations

Based on my research of the top three vacation destinations for certain categories, I have concluded that some places fall under more than one category. This seems like a very obvious statement, but when thinking about certain locations, I would have never considered them past what they seem to be on the surface. For example, when I think of New York City for a vacation, I immediately think of the hustle and bustle, cab cars of Times Square, and ultimately, shopping (which it does fall under). But never, would I have considered New York City a place to take the kids, until being reminded that the Big Apple has museums galore, offers the glamour of a big city, and lastly offers an essence beyond most people's back yards.
Paris, France, like New York, surprises me as a family destination. I understand the city being categorized for shopping and history & culture, but the idea of a young child being interested in any other structure except the Eiffel Tower seems unlikely. When I think Paris, I think couples, romance, and gazing up into the night sky under the Eiffel Tower. That statement could be very biast, speaking as a romantic.
Overall, I find it interesting that the cities are able to supplement for more than one vacation type. Yet it seems the 'rural' type vacations like beaches and adventure, can only fall under one category.
So maybe as a hypothesis from my poll, and a generalization about adults. Young adults like the beach because that is what culture tells us. That we need to be sunkissed and find that gorgeous girl or that handsome hunk, but adults seem to multitask and plan vacations to the extent of multiple options. I am not saying that adults dislike the beach (let's not forget about the seniors retiring to Florida). I am just insinuating that just like the weekly schedule of working, fixing dinner, and driving the children to soccer practice, adults are fond of 'killing two birds with one stone'.

No comments:

Post a Comment